Skip to main content





This new spokesmodel has a classic musculature that makes him perfect for men's physique!

Jake Alvarez didn't grow up an athlete. He started lifting as a young adult to build his confidence, and he was surprised when his body responded in remarkable ways. However, until recently, lifting remained his private passion. That changed with theBodySpace Spokesmodel Search!
Jake finished as first runner-up at the LA Fit Expo, worked with a world-famous photographer, became a regular on We 'Mirin, and just signed on to be a member of Team Bodybuilding.com! Learn more about this up-and-coming IFBB pro physique athlete and how he got to the stage.

Why are strength and fitness important parts of your life?

Growing up, I was never good at sports. Most people assume I was on the varsity football team, or that I wrestled, but I was actually a shy, skinny kid who was embarrassed to take off his shirt outside of his house.
After high school, I made a promise to myself to start building up my body so I could increase my size, and also my confidence. I made that promise to myself 12 years ago, and I fulfilled it.

When did you first think you had the physique for competition?

I had been a big fan of Arnold and Frank Zane growing up. Their proportioned muscle mass and conditioning inspired me to achieve a body of their caliber. But to be honest, I never imagined myself being a professional athlete in the IFBB or even competing until just five months before my first show.
At the end of 2012, I was going through a tough time in my life, and instead of falling into despair, I wanted to focus on something positive. I had been consistent in the gym even since I graduated high school when I made that promise, but I never had my diet right and never had a goal, so I didn't give it 100 percent.

"After high school, I made a promise to myself to start building up my body so I could increase my size, and also my confidence."
I wanted to be in the best shape of my life! Scrolling through Instagram, I saw pictures of guys on stage with board shorts. I said to myself, if I'm going to be in the best shape of my life, I might as well compete. I did my first show and have been obsessively addictive since.

Why are you more suited for physique than other competitive categories?

I've been training for about 12 years now, but I never aspired to compete in bodybuilding. I love the lifestyle, the dedication, and taking your body to its full potential, but I never imagined I would be able to achieve [a body like] the best in bodybuilding, such as Phil Heath and Kai Greene.
When I first saw pictures of men's physique in late 2012, it caught my eye because the competitors had the bodies I wanted to have—the type of physique my idols, Arnold and Frank Zane, had.

How do you use BodySpace to help motivate yourself and other people?

BodySpace is an incredible tool to connect with likeminded people who share the passion of fitness. I love seeing people so motivated and supportive of each other, regardless of where they are in their fitness journey.

"When I first saw pictures of men's physique in late 2012, it caught my eye because the competitors had the bodies I wanted to have—the type of physique my idols, Arnold and Frank Zane, had."
From the comments I have received on my BodySpace, the main way I have helped other users is by inspiring and motivating them to achieve their absolute best on their own fitness journeys. The mental part of this is the driving force in being able to push yourself. It is a powerful thing, because without the mental fortitude to give 100 percent in diet and workouts, you will not be successful. Having the body you dreamed of isn't possible without complete and absolute dedication, and having strong motivation helps on days when you want to give up.
What I love about this whole topic is that it's a big chain. For example, I was inspired by Arnold and Frank; someone else is inspired by me; their friends and followers see their progress and get inspired. It's a never-ending chain that I believe has made fitness big in the last few years.

What is your favorite body part to train?

Chest! It's probably most guys' favorite body part to train. Chest has always been a lagging muscle in my physique. It's something that, genetically, I was not gifted in. For years, I did all different kinds of workouts to build my chest, and it was frustrating to not see results.
Proper guidance from my coach, truly understanding how the pectoral muscle functions, and adjusting my form have helped me build my chest to balance out my physique. It is still a work in progress, but it's my favorite muscle to train because it's my weakness. One day I wish to make all my weaknesses my strengths.

What are your summer plans?

I'm a little under eight weeks out from my first IFBB men's physique show of 2015. My target show is May 9, 2015 in Las Vegas. I actually just received an email a few days ago with an offer to be part of Team Bodybuilding.com, so I'll be representing Bodybuilding.com at this show!

Tell us about your experience at the LA Fit Expo.

It was an amazing experience! Being part of the BodySpace Spokesmodel Search gave me the opportunity to do things I never would have been able to do. I have so many great memories!
First of all, the Bodybuilding.com staff was amazing, helpful, friendly, welcoming, and just super cool. We did two photo shoots prior to the Fit Expo. One was for Bodybuilding.com, performing different workouts and posing for their apparel, which was really fun. I'm excited to see how those came out on the website. We also had the honor to shoot with the legendary photographer Michael Neveux. He really worked us, but the photos look unreal! He is a true master of his craft.


At the Bodybuilding.com booth at the 2015 LA Fit Expo, it was insane! There were so many people willing to wait maybe hours just to stop by the booth, meet some of the athletes, and get a bunch of free samples. It was pretty cool meeting and taking pictures with people. That was a really awesome experience!
At the actual BodySpace Spokesmodel Search event, it was different than any other show I have done in the NPC or IFBB. It was actually really fun because I was able to do a lot of poses that aren't "men's physique" poses, and more typical bodybuilding poses I like. My favorite part was showing off my quads—which are not judged in men's physique!

Nutritional Regimen

Meal 1: Breakfast 

6-grain oatmeal 1 cup


Liquid egg whites 1 cup


Whey isolate 1 scoop


Meal 2 

Tilapia 8 oz.


White rice 200 g


Asparagus


Meal 3 

Flank steak 6 oz.


Red potatoes 8 oz.


Broccoli


Meal 4: Pre-workout meal (2 hours before workout)

Grilled chicken 8 oz.


Purple yam 200 g


Asparagus


Meal 5: Post-workout (ASAP after workout) 

Tilapia 8 oz.


White rice 200 g


Asparagus


Meal 6: Bedtime 

Liquid egg whites 1 cup



Training Regimen

Monday: Shoulders 
1

Seated dumbbell press

6 sets of 8-12 reps 
Seated Dumbbell PressSeated Dumbbell Press

2

Standing upright row

4 sets of 12-15 reps 
Standing Dumbbell Upright RowStanding Dumbbell Upright Row

3

Side Lateral Raise

5 sets of 12-20 reps 
Side Lateral RaiseSide Lateral Raise

Superset
4

Reverse pec deck

4 sets of 12 reps 
Reverse Machine FlyesReverse Machine Flyes

Dumbbell front raise

4 sets of 8-12 reps 
Front Dumbbell RaiseFront Dumbbell Raise

5

Bent-Arm Lateral Raise

4 sets of 20 reps 
Side Lateral RaiseSide Lateral Raise

Tuesday: Chest and Back 
1

Pushups

1 set of 20 reps (warm-up) 
PushupsPushups

2

Incline Dumbbell Press

5 sets of 8-12 reps 
Incline Dumbbell PressIncline Dumbbell Press

3

Flat dumbbell press

5 sets of 8-12 reps 
Dumbbell Bench PressDumbbell Bench Press

4

Cable cross-over or dumbbell fly

4 sets of 10-15 reps 
Cable CrossoverCable Crossover

5

Pull-up or assisted pull-up

4 sets of 10-15 reps 
PullupsPullups

6

Single-arm dumbbell row

4 sets of 10 reps 
One-Arm Dumbbell RowOne-Arm Dumbbell Row

7

Seated Cable Rows

4 sets of 10 reps 
Seated Cable RowsSeated Cable Rows

8

Barbell Deadlift

4 sets of 10 reps 
Barbell DeadliftBarbell Deadlift

Wednesday: Rest 
Thursday: Back 
1

Weighted Pull Ups

4 sets of 8-12 reps 
Weighted Pull UpsWeighted Pull Ups

2

Seated One-arm Cable Pulley Rows

1 triple-dropset: 6-10 reps (heavy), 6-10 reps (60% of max), 15 reps (40% of max), 25 reps or to failure (20%) 
Seated One-arm Cable Pulley RowsSeated One-arm Cable Pulley Rows

3

Close-Grip Front Lat Pulldown

3 sets of 8-12 reps 
Close-Grip Front Lat PulldownClose-Grip Front Lat Pulldown
Use 2 single arm attachments.

4

Seated Cable Rows

3 sets of 6-10 reps 
Seated Cable RowsSeated Cable Rows

5

Hyperextensions

3 sets of 15 reps 
Hyperextensions (Back Extensions)Hyperextensions (Back Extensions)

Friday: Chest and Arms 
1

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press

1 triple-dropset: 6-10 reps (heavy), 6-10 reps (60% of max), 15 reps (40% of max), 25 reps or to failure (20%) 
Smith Machine Incline Bench PressSmith Machine Incline Bench Press

2

Incline machine fly

1 triple-dropset: 6-10 reps (heavy), 6-10 reps (60% of max), 15 reps (40% of max), 25 reps or to failure (20%) 
Incline Cable FlyeIncline Cable Flye

3

Incline cable press

4 sets of 12-15 reps 
Incline Cable Chest PressIncline Cable Chest Press

4

Incline Cable Flye

4 sets of 12-15 reps 
Incline Cable FlyeIncline Cable Flye

Superset
5

Dip

5 sets of 15 reps 
Dips - Chest VersionDips - Chest Version

Pushups

5 sets of 15 reps 
PushupsPushups

Saturday: Legs 
1

Stationary bike

10 min. (warm-up) 
Recumbent BikeRecumbent Bike

2

Barbell Squat

15 warm-up reps, then 5 heavy sets of 3?5 reps 
Barbell SquatBarbell Squat

3

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift

3 sets of 5-8 reps 
Stiff-Legged Barbell DeadliftStiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift

4

Hack Squat

4 sets of 6-10 reps 
Hack SquatHack Squat

5

Lying Leg Curls

4 sets of 6-10 reps 
Lying Leg CurlsLying Leg Curls

6

Leg Extensions

10 sets of 10 reps 
Leg ExtensionsLeg Extensions

7

Seated Calf Raise

8 sets of 8 reps, 8 sec. rest 
Seated Calf RaiseSeated Calf Raise
The following week, I will switch from the seated calf raise to the leg press machine

Sunday: Rest 

Supplementation Regimen

Upon waking 

Multivitamin with minerals


Fish oil 1 cap


Sesamin 1 cap


CLA 1 cap



Fat burner 1 cap


Fat Burner: 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
With all meals 

Hardcore Nutrition L-carnitine 1 scoop


Pre-workout 

Hardcore Nutrition Mutate 2 scoops


Pre-workout 

Karbolyn 2 scoops


Hardcore Nutrition Chain Reaction 2 scoops


Post-workout 

Evogen Cell K.E.M. 1 scoop


Jake's Favorite Gym Tracks

Jaret Grossman
"Uncomfortable vs. Exhaustion"
Jaret Grossman
"The Best Motivation"
Rob D
"Clubbed To Death"
Body Head Bangerz
"Can't Be Touched"
Jaret Grossman
"Uncomfortable vs. Exhaustion"
Jaret Grossman
"The Best Motivation"
Rob D
"Clubbed To Death"
Body Head Bangerz
"Can't Be Touched"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Scientifically Proven Way To Build The Perfect Male Body Let’s face it, as men we workout and eat healthy for one reason and one reason only: to look good. And while that may sound vain, the truth is, the majority of men go to the gym so that they can build a better looking body.  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look better, especially with how critical society is on physical appearances these days. And don’t tell me you go to the gym so that you can lower your blood pressure or whatever. If we lived in a world where working out didn’t produce better looking bodies, I’m guessing most guys wouldn’t even step foot in the gym. But as millions of men slave away in the gym in order to build the perfect male body, most of them don’t even know how to build it. What is the perfect male body? The perfect male physique is one where any man, woman, or monkey will look at you and say “Damn that’s impressive.” It’s really that plain and simple. You want a body th

ARM

Barlbell Curl Execution 1. Hold a barbell at arms’ length, using a shoulder-width underhand grip. 2. Curl the bar up to shoulder level by bending your elbows. 3. Lower the bar back down to the arms’ extended position. Muscles Involved Primary:  Biceps. Secondary:  Brachialis, brachioradialis, anterior deltoid, forearm. Anatomic Focus Hand spa cing :  A wide grip focuses effort on the inner biceps (short head), whereas a narrow grip works the outer biceps (long head). Grip:  With a straight bar, the underhand grip is fixed in supination (palms upward). Grip may be adjusted using an EZ bar (see Variation section). Trajectory:  The bar should move up and down in an arc close to the body. To isolate the biceps, motion should occur at the elbow and not the shoulder. Range of motion : Stopping a few degrees short of full elbow extension keeps tension on the biceps as the barbell is lowered. Body position:  Stand upright with the spine straight. Tilting the torso is often used

HEAVENS GYM IWOFE

This heaven of iron fitness is a dream in the making for years,  with our certified And well trained instructors weake your fitness dreams a reality come train with us at Marriott Garden city Hotel Iwofe, Port Harcourt, Rivers State Nigeria for a pump experience